- This event has passed.
Webinar: Managing Inbreeding in a Multi-Sire Herd, with Phyllis Van Amburgh
April 30, 2020 @ 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm BST
Managing Inbreeding in a Multi-Sire Herd with Phyllis Van Amburgh
30th of April, 8-9 PM UK
The land and the animals receive great benefit from reducing the number of herds. But, how do you manage a multi-sire herd without the ill effects of inbreeding?
Farmer, and Savory Institute Accredited Field Professional, Phyllis Van Amburgh will tell of her experience managing multi-sire breeding in a dairy herd. Topics include:
– What are outcrossing, inbreeding, line breeding? How do you use them and what do you use them for?
– Breeding close leads to known problems. Most faults are recessive in their expression. There is not a lot of information about close breeding, and the benefits of it are not well known.
– What are strategies for artificial insemination and bulls?
– What are strategies for combining herds and grazing?
– As she introduces each topic, she will open it up for your questions.