Low Stress Livestock Handling
October 5, 2020 @ 9:30 am - 5:00 pm BST
LOW STRESS LIVESTOCK HANDLING
In-person course with Miriam Parker
At Sailean Farm, Isle of Lismore, UK
5 October 2020, 9:30 AM — 5:00 PM
– Learn to see the world the way a cow does, so you can be safe and stress-free in handling them.
– Educator Miriam Parker was trained by the originators, Bud Williams and Temple Grandin, and was awarded an MBE for services in farming in 2006.
The course involves classroom sessions, as well as outdoor exercises with livestock. For this reason, the course can only be offered during warmer weather, with a maximum of 12 participants. This 5 minute video, An introduction to cattle handling systems with Miriam Parker, introduces you to the topic.
– Being a Cow: natural cattle behaviour.
– Cows & the Unfamiliar: Examine how to work with the animal’s natural behaviour.
– Find the flight zone: identify behaviour when ‘pressure’ is applied.
– Market Facilities: keys to handling system design.
Use this link to find out more: